The Parish of Buttsbury was until fairly recent times, of greater importance than neighbouring Stock. Indeed a large part of the High Street of Stock and also of Perry Street in Billericay, at one time, came within the Parish boundary of Buttsbury.
The first Rector of Stock Church was a monk from Buttsbury and over the years, Stock overtook Buttsbury in importance, both as a village and as a centre of worship. However, through the centuries, many of the people from Stock have worshipped at Buttsbury Church and some are buried in the Churchyard there.
Nothing is known of the actual village of Buttsbury which is thought to have been situated around or very near to the Church but its high position indicates the probable existence of a village.
Did it disappear with the ‘Black Death’ in the 14th Century?
Who knows, but whatever happened, the Church of St. Mary the Virgin has remained and has continued to provide a place pf prayer for the many pilgrims who pass by its door and a sanctuary of quiet, peace, thanks to the devotion and care of successive generations.
In Mediaeval times, the nuns from St. Leonard at Stratford, regularly came to stay at Buttsbury and worship there.
On the 7th February 1783, the Parish was united to the Benefice of Ingatestone by Deed Poll and by the Bishop of London.
On August 1st 2004, Buttsbury was created part of the Benefice, ‘Margaretting with Mountnessing and Buttsbury’.
This was achieved by ‘Queens Council’ and signed by the Bishop of Chelmsford, Bishop John Gladwin.